Saturday, September 5, 2009

Through watching my son Zachary initiate a physical activity, I have noticed where frustration sets in and the whole thing is discontinued. In my mind, I envision him playing this activity endlessly and that is where it occurs: The difficult part which can be made easier, not because he should be handed an easy advantage, but because the benefits of endless play far outweigh the so-called "character building" limits of current age and physical ability (don't get me wrong. Zachary is big for his age and is very strong). Also, with endless play comes a natural attunement to physical exertion. Right now this country is battling with childhood obesity. Right now, I don't see where it is doing any good to try and convince a child to change his or her ways of doing things differently or eating right. I do see making physical endless play for accessable and attractive for the child by taking away the barriers of physical difficulty. I'm talking about making the environment meet the child so the child can gain strength for the harder levels of whatever activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment